Yalçın Umut Talay has been with the firm since 2014 and became a managing associate in 2023. His practice is focused on corporate and M&A, contracts, data protection and privacy and technology, media and telecommunication.
Actively engaged in multinational companies’ merger and acquisitions in Turkey, Umut provides consultany services and assist the clients in relation to negotiations for share purchase deals, shareholders’ agreements, asset transfers and technology transfers. In this respect, he also conducts feasibility studies and due diligence processes in details for the management of those companies. He is also well experienced in various types of contracts subject to regulations, including but not limited to distributorship agreements, license agreements, tender agreements, consumer agreements, agency agreements. With regard to his studies in corporate and M&A transactions, Umut has a special focus on technology, telecom and media sectors. He also advises consultancy to automotive and industrial enterprises and has a detailed knowledge and experience from regulatory and practical perspectives in relation to environmental law, industrial law and operational permit/licenses.
Umut provides legal services to our cliens in relation to all aspects of personal data protection legislation. He advises multinational companies for privacy issues including but not limited to implementation of compliance projects and data breaches. He represents multinational companies before the Personal Data Protection Authority. He holds Certified Information Privacy Professional Europe (CIPP/E) designation from the International Association of Privacy Professionals
Umut also intensively works in relation to telecommunication and internet law, electronic communication services, media law and over-the-top services. He represents various multinational companies and their Turkish affiliates in these sectors before various administrative authorities including but not limited to Information and Communication Technologies Authority, Radio and Television Supreme Council and Advertisement Board.
“Transfer of Data Abroad”, “Binding Company Rules, Commitments”, “The Concept of Registration and Contact Person”, Özyeğin University Lifelong Learning Academy Turkish Personal Data Protection Law, Basic Training Course, Trainer, 03.09.2022
Digital Privacy and Data Privacy, Gray Zone, Speaker, 20.01.2021
Digital Privacy and Data Privacy, Gray Zone - Roundtable Meeting 3, Speaker, 17.01.2021
Current Developments in the Light of the Final Board Decisions, Gün + Partners Webinar, Speaker, 21.05.2020
Current Developments on Data Protection within the Scope of COVID-19, Gün + Partners Webinar, Speaker, 22.04.2020
- Turkish DPA Fines Tiktok Try 1.75m For Inadequate Data Security Measures
- Developments in the Obligation of Registration to Data Controllers’ Registry
- Authorization Obligation is on the Horizon for OTT Services
- Substantial Amendments to the Regulation on Distance Contracts
- Draft Guideline on Processing Genetic Data
- New Regulations Expected For OTT Service Providers
- Effective Date of Additional Obligations on Consumer Protection Approaches
- Recent Developments on Using Personal Data Unlawfully Collected as Evidence
- Audit Standards for Information Security Processes
- Additional Price Difference in Public Tenders and Assignment of Tender Agreements
- The New Deadline for Registration to Data Controllers’ Registry Approaches!
- Processing of Personal Data Related to COVID-19 Test Results and Vaccination-Infection Status of Employees
- Declaration of Ultimate Beneficial Ownership in Turkey
- Developments for Local Storage in Turkey
- 2014, Faculty of Law, TOBB University of Economics and Technology, Ankara LL.B.
- 2009, İstiklal Makzume Anatolian High School, Iskenderun